Neil Engel, originally from Cape Town, is now a Johannesburg based trumpet player and producer who is proficient in a number of genres .He studied Bmus jazz at UCT. This emerging artist loves to take audiences on a diverse musical journey.
Artists he arranged, recorded and performed with include: Abdullah Ebrahim, Jimmy Dludlu, Loyiso Bala, Danny K, L’loyd Cele, Elvis Blue, Kabelo, Black Coffee, HHP, Chiano Sky, Liquideep, Zonke, AKA, Khuli Chana, Maysa Leak, Garth Taylor, Tucan Tucan, Vusi Khumalo, Naima McClean, Wanda Baloyi, Robbie Jansen, Supreme 3 and Swing City among others. Neil has also taught at various institutions such as the University of Stellenbosch in 2005/2006 where he taught trumpet, history of jazz and jazz improvisation. He was also involved in many community development projects in Cape Town. He is currently a part- time lecturer at Wits University teaching Jazz Composition and Arrangement to 3rd and 4th years.
He is also an arranger and producer based at The Hitlab studio in Allens Nek Johannesburg, and works with a variety of vocalists in the South African music industry.
Some Performance Highlights:
- Idols 2011 -2014
- Joy of Jazz Johannesburg, Cape Town International Jazz Festival, Grahamstown Jazz Festival 2003 – 2015
- SAMA awards: 2010-2013
- Katherine Jenkins 2013
- Skouspel 2010 -2012
- Music Directed a 3 hour show for Kyknet called Afriganza in 2014, including 36 artists.
Production Credits 2017:
- Co-wrote and produced single: ‘Daydreaming’ – L’loyd Cele
- Co-wrote and produced single: ‘Love Comes Easy’ – Brenden Praise – Produced album –‘Groete Van My’ – Wolwe-Dans
- Wrote and produced single: ‘Celebrate’ – Freefall Empire
- Wrote title track for Timothy Moloi album: ‘Love That Music’
- Various corporate and commercial compositions